Microsoft KMS Problem Solving Steps
How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Penn State's Microsoft KMS.
Problem Solving Steps
- Is your computer's time correct?
- Yes: Good, proceed to step #2.
- No: Since the KMS relies on your computer's time, it must match what is set on the KMS. Proceed to step #2.
- Can you ping mskms.psu.edu?
- Yes: Good, proceed to step #3.
- No: This most likely means that you are not on the Penn State Network. This isn't always the case as some network administrators have disallowed ping. Proceed to step #3.
- Are you using a Penn State dorm network connection?
- Yes: Sorry, communication with the KMS is not allowed from the dorms.
- No: Good, proceed to step #4.
- Can you connect to
- Yes: The the web page says "Penn State's Microsoft Key Management Server". This means that you are using an IP address that can communicate with the KMS's IP address and are is allowed to use the KMS. Go to step #2.
- This most like indicates you're not on the Penn State Network.
- If you are on the Penn State network, your network administrator has most likely implemented a firewall that is preventing communication with the KMS's IP address. Please contact your network administrator for further troubleshooting.